|1||The Red, Red Rose|
|3||Just Another Perfect Day|
|5||If Forever Comes|
BUY DIRECT! from the Green Monkey Records store: The Red, Red Rose
Musicians, indeed, artists of all stripes, have always responded to public tragedies with new works commenting on the events. But few respond quickly anymore, the way Neil and the CSNY crew did with "Ohio," or so many musicians did after the 9/11 attacks. Green Pajamas leader Jeff Kelly found himself so moved and horrified by the suicide of Phoebe Prince (who hanged herself after consistent bullying by students at her high school, bringing the bullying issue to national prominence) that he wrote a song about it and already has it in the racks. "The Red, Red Rose" is prime Green PJs, mixing a folk melody with psychedelic rock and poetic lyrics that address Phoebe's tragedy from the point of view of those still grieving.
The EP fills out with four songs previously unavailable on CD. The haunted waltz "Raise Ravens," the lovely (if dark) ballad "Just Another Perfect Day" and the winsome folk popper "Little Dreams" also appear on the band's download-only collection If You Knew What I Dreamed: The Green Pajamas Play the Jeff Kelly Songbook. "If Forever Comes," an elaborate, accordion-laced ballad, sees the light of the day for the first time here. Coupled with the emotional power of the title track, The Red, Red Rose becomes as satisfying a collection, however brief, as anything in the PJs' catalog. - MICHAEL TOLAND, Blurt on-line
- The Green Pajamas, The Red Red Rose EP
- erasing clouds
- "One January afternoon / they killed you in your school clothes / as sure as winter's cruel hands clutch and kill the red red rose". This is heavy stuff, with the band playing heavy to match... [Read More...]
- REVIEW: The Green Pajamas; “The Red, Red Rose (Song For Phoebe ...
- The grunge sound of Seattle was a nice comfortable blanket that was a loose way of describing the many diverse musical influences the city offers, and The Green Pajamas are an example of that diversity... [Read More...]
- Green Pajamas: The Red, Red Rose
- Pop Matters
- ...After cataloging some of the beauty in the world that Phoebe can no longer enjoy, Kelly laments, “One January afternoon / They killed you in your school clothes”, while unsaid and unspeakable anger, remorse and guilt pours out of his guitar. It’s beautiful, and it’s a shame it ever had to be written... [Read More...]
- The Red, Red Rose EP by Green Pajamas on Blurt Online
- The haunted waltz "Raise Ravens," the lovely (if dark) ballad "Just Another Perfect Day" and the winsome folk popper "Little Dreams" also appear on the band's download-only collection If You Knew What I Dreamed: The Green Pajamas Play ... [Read More...]